Torn from home is the theme for Holocaust Memorial Day 2019.
There are activities across the capital to mark this important day. Some of the borough events are listed below. Find an activity near you on the HMD site.
Holocaust Memorial Day is the day for everyone to remember the millions of people murdered in the Holocaust, under Nazi Persecution, and in the genocides which followed in Cambodia, Rwanda, Bosnia, and Darfur.
Torn from home encourages us to reflect on how the enforced loss of a safe place to call ‘home’ is part of the trauma faced by anyone experiencing persecution and genocide. ‘Home’ usually means a place of safety, comfort and security. On HMD 2019 people across the UK will reflect on what happens when individuals, families and communities are driven out of, or wrenched from their homes, because of persecution or the threat of genocide, alongside the continuing difficulties survivors face as they try to find and build new homes when the genocide is over.
HMD 2019 will include marking the 25th anniversary of the Genocide in Rwanda, which began in April 1994 and the 40th anniversary of the end of the Genocide in Cambodia, which ended in 1979. HMD activity organisers may particularly want to acknowledge this milestone anniversary, and reflect on how this theme impacts on members of the Rwandan and Cambodian communities.
Click on the dates for borough HMD 2019 events. If you know of others, please add a comment to this post with details. A map of activities is on the HMD site.
- Barking & Dagenham: Monday 28 January
- Barnet: Sunday 27 January
- Brent: Thursday 24 January
- Camden (Jewish Museum): Friday 25 January
- Croydon: Monday 28 January
- Ealing: Friday 25 January
- Greenwich: Monday 28 January
- Hackney: Monday 28 January
- Haringey: Sunday 27 January
- Havering: Sunday 27 January
- Hillingdon: Friday 25 January
- Islington: Monday 28 January
- Kensington & Chelsea: Tuesday 29 January
- Kingston upon Thames: Sunday 27 January
- Lambeth: Sunday 27 January
- Lewisham: Sunday 27 January
- Merton: Tuesday 22 January
- Newham: Friday 25 January
- Redbridge: Monday 28 January
- Sutton: Friday 25 January
- Tower Hamlets: Thursday 24 & Sunday 27 January